Tuesday

How To Get A Good Cup Of Coffee From Your Keurig "My-K-Cup"

Today I landed by mistake on an amazon.ca page for something called "Disposable Filters for Use in Keurig Brewers" and my first thought was "Somebody has stolen my idea!"

I chose the Cuisinart Keurig system single brewer because it came with its separate "MyK-Cup" assembly to allow one to avoid paying some outrageous price for a cup of coffee made at home. At the time I was very happy with the quality of the coffees I was using, at a reasonable 10 cents per cup.

However, before long I realized that the system is really meant for use with their prefabricated little pods, and my reaction was similar to these very eloquent customer reviews on the amazon disposable filters page:
"… hated the coffee sludge..." 
"No need to bang filter basket to get grounds out…"  
"…now I just pick up the paper filter and throw it all in the compost bin…" 
"...not getting sludge in my mouth…" 
"I hate how it leaves a grainy soot at the bottom of the cup..."
Not only that, the oils in the coffee soon blocked the tiny openings of the small permanent basket, and the quality of my cuppa declined by the day. Before long, I was on the phone to the Keurig customer service, who advised me that the so-called "permanent" filter had to be replaced every three months!

It was by taking apart one of the samples that had been supplied with the machine that I realized that what was missing was thin layer of paper.

So, if you'd like to improve your own My K-Cup brew, and make your filter last forever, you can now buy tiny paper filters, but they will cost you anywhere from 3 to 5 cents each.

Or you can follow these instructions, and make your own for a little over a penny.

And if you drink as much coffee as I do (about 6 cups a day but they're only 6 ounces), you will save up to $87 a year. (In my case, that pays for 870 cups of coffee!

Here's how I do it:

1. Buy the small 4-cup paper filters from the dollar store.

Cost in Canada: $1.25 for 100, a little over a penny each.







2. Assemble your materials:

- paper filter
- filter basket
-an old film can







3. Center the paper over the basket, then push with the film can to fit it inside the basket.

The film can is the exact size to get a perfect fit with a perfectly flat bottom.






4. Cut all around the basket with the scissors, hugging the basket loosely as you do so.








Alternatively, you can weigh your coffee first, then place the basket inside the K-Cup base, then trim.

5. I weigh my coffee -- I like 10 grams for 6 ounces of water -- that way I always get the strength I prefer.








6. Drop the basket into the base, screw the lid on and brew your coffee.


7. I also measure my cream: 1 TB is exactly right for me!










Hopefully, with these instructions you will get a better cup of coffee and a fatter wallet!


No comments:

Post a Comment